Sunday, August 09, 2015

City 2 Surf 2015

Arrived about 6:30AM to the baggage area and wandered past the toilets with no lines. Then down to the start line about 6:40AM to find only about a dozen lined up. Mostly usual suspects. Maybe Fairfax and the don't arrive 30 mins before the gun email had an effect?

Start was made up of standing around having a chat and praying the sun came out from behind the trees which it did. Seemed to help but in fact the tempo was 6 degrees but with the 20k westerly we had during the race it was really 2.5 degrees.

Asthma and hamstring were noted as being a problem before the race so I expected not to be able to run fast at all. So it was proven as I had to run with my inhaler.

Found the crowds really rude this year as heaps of runners trying to get through gaps that they can't get through just belt your elbows without a hint of sorry. Next year I'm running with Michael Clarkes unused cricket bat. Will see more hits at least.

Splits I noted. Could be adjusted later as I press the button when the gun went and couldn't work out if there even was a start mat?

5k 23:15
7.2k(clock) 34:57
10k 48:55
14k 68:04. Avge pace 4:51 per klm.

Neg split 34:57/33:07. At least I'll keep the red start for next year.

1 comment:

Ewen said...

Good red start salvage Paul. I don't enjoy the first 2k with so many in the red group. I've heard you get a much better run from the green group, esp now as it's near the mat - timing mat was just the other side of the road. If you're a sub-5 k runner you're one of the fastest in the green group. That'll be me next year.