Sunday, July 06, 2014

Gold Coast Half Marathon 1:33:48

Nothing to write home about with my lack of training. My head thought I could run faster but my body said no.
Caught the plane up Saturday with Moh Alkhub on board. Caught the bus to the convention centre to get our numbers as well and then the bus into the accommodation. We were staying at different places.

Up at the god awful time of 4am for the 6am start of the half. Had to catch the bus near the hotel arriving about 5:15. Met up with a few Striders and left my bag at the tent.

Start in the dark and I knew in the 1st k I would struggle to hold the pace I wanted. After that just tried to hold 4:30/k pace.
The organisers heard my whinging from last year and put in a 10k split mat. Very good.

Great weather for the race. Big crowds and the Australian all comers marathon record was broken as well as the course PB in the men's. Deek had the all comers since 82 Comm Games.

Splits were:

10k - 44:00(4:24/k)
20k - 1:29:03(4:27/k)
Finish - 1:33:48(4:26/k)

Finished on net time 611 out of 8572. So still top 10%. I thought more had beaten me than that.

My race positions were good. 612 at 10k, 612 at 20k and 611 at the finish. I know plenty passed me after the 10k mark but between 15k and the finish I was obviously reeling them back in to grab 1 spot. Yeehah!

1 comment:

Ewen said...

Good to see you running evenly - thought it might have been a 41 first 10k then a fade. Proves that you can't run above your fitness level. I was happy to see the 10k mat too.