Sunday, April 13, 2008

Canberra Marathon DNF

I knew the day would turn out bad when I couldn't get my car out of the hotel car park at 6am and had to get a lift to the start with another runner.
I have had ongoing problems since December with Plantar Fasciitis which moved into one spot in my heel at the start of March.
Inspite of this I still tried to keep all the training up for the race hoping that I could run 'at pace' for the full distance.

I started off standing near Tucks and Springer although not running near their pace. Was just trying to get a decent start. Ran most of the race in a nice pack that was just around half a dozen runners on 2:55-3hr pace. Included Blue Dog, Sub50 and Brick.
I had a split calculator on my arm for 2:56 and stayed almost on those splits for the first 17ks. At about the 15k mark the Dog said he was pulling out. But from the 17k we head down hill and my heel was getting increasingly more painful from the downhill pressure on it.

From the Black Mtn turnaround my pace started to slow as the pain became to much to handle for me. From there the voices in my head were screaming at me to stop/run/stop/run. Oh come on make up your mind you idiot.
When I saw my family at the 25k mark going back to the bowen turnaround I had made up my mind that I would run back to see them and let them know. They had been standing in the rain cheering for myself and all the "Go Striders" or is that Ghost Writers? I laugh at that one.

That was it, no amount of CR's or Striders imploring me to keep running as they went past was going to make me continue. I was an emotional wreck standing there talking to my parents.

It was a slow hobble back to the finish to watch all the other runners come in. Got to see Mark Tucker power on for the win as I was still walking back. And it was great to see Uncle Dave and Tucks up close as they both still looked strong running sub 2:30.

Thanks to all who have encouraged me to run sub 3hr for the marathon this time. I'm sorry that I couldn't keep my end of the bargain. I shouldn't have run the race at all with my foot like it was. I'm now paying for it as I had the physio this morning put me on crutches to relieve some of the pain so I can walk properly. No running for at least a month for me.

Sorry for such a long post. My first race DNF. Probably very lucky.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bad luck mate. The marathon always amazes me how it can bite a runner of any level right on the bum.

You'll recover well to return stronger and wiser. No doubt about that.

David Criniti said...

well mate, as much as it would have been great to see you and doggy fighting it out, mano-e-mano, for the whole shebang, in the long run this'll just be the complication that every epic needs.

No doubt you'll be back. Enjoy the rest before your next assault.

Unc

Horrie said...

Bad luck Flakey. I'm sure you will bounce back.

Anonymous said...

Commiserations. I enjoyed reading about your training.Wishing you a speedy recovery

tja said...

DNF not much fun hey. i know the feeling. hope you have a speedy recovery, im sure youll be back in less than a month

Ewen said...

I guessed from your grimace running along Parkes Way you might DNF. A pity, but a sensible decision mate.

You'll be back in 5-6 weeks, and that base will help you for Sydney.

saint said...

Flake,

Hard luck mate. As Uncle Dave said, enjoy the downtime, relax, and regroup for your next assault. You'll get there. And how satisfying it will be...

Big Bear

Tesso said...

It broke my heart when I saw you out there and you told me what happened. But if its any consolation I tried to get some strength from it ... it made my comparatively minor quad pain seem like nothing.

I can't wait until you are back at it. I love reading your blog. It is a constant source of inspiration and amazement to me how you can get out there late at night on your own and do what you do.

Take care. Enjoy the break (if that is possible). I have a sneaking suspicion you will come back even stronger.

Rob said...

Chin up Flakey! There are opportunities galore out there. One day soon it will all come together and you will have the run of your life and your face will ache from grinning.

Robert Song said...

Live and learn. There are many years ahead when you will be better prepared, healthier and quickier. That sub 3 will come.

All the bets for the recovery.

plu said...

Oh Well,

Been waiting to read the story. Not easy to read.

Recover well.

cheers PLu

Spud said...

Disappointing as it is for you, I know you'll bounce back mate. Too much experience now, base is solid, give it a good ole crack at GC.
Hope the heel heals!