Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mothers Day Classic 8k

Wasn't sure I should be racing when the cold is still hanging around. A cool and windy start this morning in Sydney. 13 degrees but it felt colder in the shade.
Plenty of pink out in the Domain and I felt out of place in Striders Green.
Watched the 1st k of the 4k race and then ventured over to the start on Macquarie St. The course was starting at Martin Place on Macquarie St and going down to William St with the turn almost at the intersection then back down Art Gallery Rd the wrong direction to normal traffic and back up to St James place outside the Mint for the turn to the 2nd lap.

Lined up on the front line as there didn't seem to be too many quick ones running that I would slow up. The 1st k was pretty average going through on 3:39 but from there the lungs didn't help with the breathing too much.
Came through the 4k in 16:07(edit) which I was hoping for a lot faster. Managed on the 2nd lap to catch the 3rd woman and only missed out on getting the 2nd woman by a few hundred metres. Chloe Tighe the female winner was probably a k up the road when I finished. Michael Prince won the mens.

Finished in 32:12(edit) according to my watch. Apparently I only recorded at the 4k mark but since I know who I passed running to the finish including beating one guy in a sprint to line I've adjusted the time. Plenty of dodging was needed on the 2nd lap as we came up behind the slow runners still on the 1st lap. I think some of them do forget that there is a 4 and 8k walk that they can do.

A good morning anyway. Was talking to 2nd place Michelle Chadwick who is coached by Sean Williams and almost had her convinced to join Striders and run at 6:20am. She is trying for a sub 3hr marathon.

1 comment:

Ewen said...

It was colder for ours! That's not too bad a time. We had a 5/10k and the sub-45ish runners had the same problem on the second lap. Not many sub-40 runners.