Sunday, August 08, 2010

City 2 Surf 55:05=PB


Conflicting emotions with my PB this year. Happy with getting another C2S PB but not happy about missing going under 55 mins.
Arrived at the start at 7am and was right at the front of the red group for the long wait until the 8:30am start. No-one remembered to bring a paper so we had to amuse ourselves with witty conversation. Worked well. Even Superman flew in!

Start was a shambles as no one gave us a countdown that the gun was going to be fired. How hard is a countdown? 3 2 1 gun? The pin released on the garmin and I heard it fall and turned to pick it up on the downhill in William St only to see another runner step on it and smash the face. So no watch for the rest of the race. The watch kept beeping the k markers actually but I couldn't see the times. Very frustrating.

Had a great start bar the watch falling off. I did pick it up. Edgecliff hill wasn't as bad for me as previous years. Pushed hard through Double Bay and Rose Bay and reached the 5k in 19:15 which my 'C2S PB' was 19:49 from 2007. Got the time from Melbourne radio comic Dave 'Hughesy' Hughes.

Heartbreak was a challenge as always, I actually ran from 5k to the clock slower than last year. But I reached the 7.2ks in 28:50 over my 29:45 HBH clock PB from last year. I needed to be further ahead than this as I had 1:37 to make up from last year.

I passed a jogging Fossil about the 9k mark, the only time I will ever beat Fossil in a race. Reached 10k in 40:30 which was 1 min up on my C2S 10k PB of 41:30. So I was gaining on what I needed to catch up.

Pushed the downhill hard to Bondi and slowed a bit on the Campbell Pde hill, tried to go hard along the rest of the course and sprinted for the line but just missed getting under 55 mins with a 55:05 on the race clock. A great last 4k in 14:35. Pity I can't run the 1st 10k at this pace.

So a PB but another failed attempt at getting under 55 mins. A good negative split again 28:50/26:15. I love a downhill.
Third PB for the year adding the half marathon and marathon in. I think the 5k and 10k PB's might be a bit harder to break this year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done Flakey on a PB and i reckon you lost the 5 seconds in picking up your watch?
Lost my shirt on you though as i had you to beat Kanser so that's a beer you owe me:)
Cheers
Tim

Anonymous said...

Onya Paul. Well done on the PB. Hope to catch you at a race soon.

Marty
(Gronk)

Ewen said...

Congrats on the PB Paul. Always good to run a C2S PB. Shame about the Garmin - that probably cost you the sub-55. Sorry I missed you at the finish - we had a bit of a drama with bag collection and then the queue for the buses.