Sunday, November 25, 2012

Central Coast Half Marathon

Since Action had certified the course a few years ago I had been wanting to run this one again as it is flat along concrete bike paths.
Thought it would be a good idea this year but then the hot weather decided to come over the weekend along with the humidity which didn't help.
Plus the 4am wakeup left me pretty tired at the start line. Are you getting the picture?

Marty Dent won in 65:50. We all thought he had retired for the year after winning the Fernleigh 15 a couple of weeks ago.

I was out ok going through 3k in 11:30 but after that I was just fading along and hoping the turnaround(out and back course) would hurry up.
Got to the 10.5k in 43:40 and to the finish in 1:31:22. Not good. With over 700 people in the half and 700 also in the 10k that started later the run back for passing wasn't too flash with only a single lane bike path.

Had to drink bucket loads of water at the finish just to get my body temp back down to a normal level so I would pass out in the car on the freeway.

It wasn't hot but 20 degrees at the start with 90% humidity during the race didn't help. Maybe I just suck this year at racing.

1 comment:

Ewen said...

I looked up your time Paul. Wondered why it was so slow. 3:50 ks at the start isn't going to help - if you're not in at least 4 minute k shape. Yes, forget the racing and get onto the Rotterdam build-up.