Sunday, November 11, 2012

City 2 Sea 14k - 56:30

I had to be in Melbourne for work on Monday and Tuesday so decided to forgo the State 3000m on Saturday night and run a fun run in Melbourne on sunday morning.
Did a late entry and was still able to get a preferred start. They only had about 50 with preferred and seeded starts. 11,000 entries but as per usual 9000 finishers which was probably starters as well as you don't usually have that many DNF's in a 14k run.

Lined up almost behind Olympian Michael Shelley. God he is skinny. Race didn't go according to what I wanted but that is probably because I want to run faster than my fitness allows. Pretty dumb really.

The course is basically flat so if I was fit my time would have been a lot faster. Splits off the mats were: 4.20k in 16:24, 10k in 40:11, finish in 56:30. Better speed than last weeks Run4fun over a longer distance.

I was faster after the 10k mark than I ran from the 4.2k to the 10k mark. Must have been a faster finish with the line in sight. Course was good and wide enough to get more numbers if Fairfax keep organising it.

Michael Shelley won in 41:02. With Tarli Bird 1st female in 50:51. I was ahead of the 1st two females for about 1k.

1 comment:

Ewen said...

That's not too bad Paul. How would you rate it compared to C2S? A minute quicker?

More fun than the state 3000. If you were ahead of the first female at 1k you could probably run 50 minutes if you get the other 13 right ;)