Sunday, May 17, 2009

SMH Half Marathon 91:45

Arrived way too early for the start at 10 to 6. Got a lift in which was far better than catching a bus. I took advantage of my early arrival and stole all the toilet paper from the porta loos so those arriving after 7am had nothing. Very evil considering I was outside St Marys Cathedral. I had to say a few hail marys at the late sunday service for penance.

Wandered around the area looking for where to stow my bag later on. Fell asleep at a table for about 10 mins. Best sleep I had all night.
Chatted to a couple of the Woodstock runners and CR barefoot doing his 18th race(same as Mr Dark).
Went over to the start rope early and was first on the line(imagine that). Chatted to CR Nando for most of the time before the gun fired. Until Action came and stood in my way. Blue Dog was a liitle behind me at the start hoping to get some movement in his North Face race paws.

The gun went right on time and I was running within 10 metres of crossing the mat. What crowd? what congestion? Not at the front baby!
The crowd was pretty thick even at the start and it was a bit hard to get a clear run but finally managed it down Hunter St. Missed all the k markers until I saw the 4k in 16:18. Didn't think I was going that quick.

A smorgasboard of Striders and CR's kept passing me during the race much to my annoyance. Can't do much when you are not fit enough. Got to the 10k eventually in 42:40 and the drink bottle that I drank before the race decided I should go for the loo now. So I did in the port a loo. I did note at this stage that Langswm was having a good race as he was about a min ahead at the 10k mark. Back to the race.

Down Hunter St again and a slow slog up the Argyle Cut. Nearly came to grief on a pole turning into Kent as a female ipod chaser turned left on me without looking. Bugger!
Along past the Hickson Rd wharves and CR's Gnome and Brewer cruised past me, which lead to many changes in position over the next 5k until the bottom of Mrs Macquaries Chair where they slowed and I escaped back to the finish.

A slow finish in 91:45 after my 42:40 first 10k. Probably as good as I could have expected considering the lack of training by me this year. Plenty more races this year to get faster in. Thanks to everyones support out on the course. And good to see Springer, Greg and Timinerko after the race.

And I nearly forgot. I beat Blue Dog! He claimed that he did some race called North Face on Saturday. He's dreaming the only North Face I know is Everest and I have a North Face jacket.

4 comments:

nando said...

very evil stealing all the toilet paper. You might have regretted it though, when I shook your hand at the start ;-) Good to be out racing again with you.

Glenda said...

But you didn't get the loo paper from the old toilet block inside the gardens. Never a queue and nice and clean. Some very weirdly dressed runners you have in the big smoke. Who was the guy in the dressing gown? and did he run in it?

Ewen said...

You missed the loos down the Randwick end of Hyde Park.

Congrats on thrashing Mrs Dog's son. There are no excuses in racing - not even accepting a lap-dance with 2k to go.

2P said...

Nice one Flakey - SMS the dog each day for a week :)