Sunday, May 21, 2006

SMH Half Marathon

The long morning started at 4am to avoid the use if the port a loos at the start.
Change in diet, avoiding the usual weet-bix with milk which is probably a bit heavy, to go with the toast and jam to wake me up plus a gatorade first up.

Caught the bus down to Circular Quay and had a very leisurely walk along George St, noting the roadworks right on the overhead train line corner, and walked up Argyle Cut to the start.
Ran into Plu and Tux as I was in Kent St and had a brief chat before getting to the start area.
Chatted to Truckie, Aunty K, Uncle Dave, Papa Liugi, Spud, Bernie G and Blue Dog before going down to the actual start line.
Ran into Grandpa, O Runner, Mohammad, Vat, and the Langsworths while we waited for the start.

There was no warning of the gun going off so I would say a few people may have there gun times different to what there watches said. Mine was out by 2 seconds the whole way around the course. Took off a bit quick as I had 3:59 at the 1k mark and a dash for the port a loo near the finish line.
I didn't run with anyone, but there did seem to be Striders all around me at times during the race. I reached the 5k mark in 21:35 which I thought was too fast still but I felt ok. Walked through all the drink stations the whole race so you could probably take off 2mins if I hadn't.

Reached the 10k mark in 43:44 but feeling like the endurance was not there. Which it isn't! Damn Stressie. Going up Hunter St the 2nd time I nearly felt like walking as I believed I was in a damn slow shuffle up hill and would move faster walking. I decided against it.
Watched a steady stream of Striders passing me back down Macquarie St. Guzzo was flying at this stage and he eventually got third holding off Magnus Michelsson.

Down into the domain again and feeling better after getting on some good downhills. Reached the 15k mark in 66:10 and walked through the drinks again. Had a much better time getting out of the domain this time and floored it down Hunter St passing a lot of people here. Long Legs helps.
Argyle Cut was an upward shuffle with Fake Plastic Trees at the bottom urging me to keep going. Thanks Mate.

Down to the start again I went through the 20k mark in 88:50 and eventually finished in 93:12 on my watch. The splits were 21:35(5), 22:09(10), 21:26(15), 22:40(20), 4:22(21.1). Average pace of 4:25 per klm.
Six minutes outside my PB but can't expect much after the stress fractures.
This race was only a stepping stone on the comeback so I am not fussed about the time.

And to the matter that concerns all Superflake 93:12, Blue Dog 89:57. Ok he did beat me with a dodgy foot. But it was inside the 5min handicap, so I'm happy.

11 comments:

Katie said...

And you should be happy!! I was commenting to Tim as you cruised in that I can't believe you can run so well after 2 stress fractures! Yeah you!!

Horrie said...

Great run today Flake. I can't believe you can come back after stress fractures and very little running in months and still manage to run faster than I have ever managed to run a Half in. Amazing effort!

Tesso said...

Well done Flakey! What a great final 1.1k! So happy to hear the legs held up.

Spud said...

Great run Flake, your on the way back now, well and truly. Good stuff and good to catch up yesterday, albeit briefly.

Clairie said...

The Flake is back!!! and more excitingly (with handicap) he beat the DOG!!! Yipppeeeeee

Well done and I look forward to hearing many more good reports to come.

No doubt next race the Dog will be asking for a re-match with no handicap. :)

Ellie80 said...

nice run superflake! hard to believe that you are in comeback mode! congrats!

2P said...

Mate - fantastic result no matter what, but considering you have had the stressies it is brilliant!

Glad to hear your watch neither gained or lost time on the run too ;-)

Jen said...

Woohoo Flakey. Congrats on a great run in light of your stressie. Well done :-)

Ewen said...

Well done on thrashing Blue Dog SF. A good run under the circumstances and worth the longer than normal post! I hope the recovery goes well.

Don Juan said...

Congratulations on the comeback. A very good time on the preparation.

Looking forward to further progress reports.

Unknown said...

I had no idea you could run so fast, SF!! I'll never catch you now....unless it's on a dark night!