Monday, October 17, 2005

Fool Man Rising-12.5ks

Well there was a full moon out tonight so it was a good night for a run.

But when I run on grass and I can feel pain in my leg from the stress fracture I know I'm an idiot.

Putting it bluntly. I have decided that I won't run until I can't feel the pain when I press on my tibia. Should have done this in the first place.

If anyone spots me running please feel free to pull me over and take my running shoes and give them to Kevin Tiller as recycled shoes. And I'm not joking.

I can't run at the pace I want without feeling some kind of pain, be it a pins and needles feeling or a sore muscle near the bone feeling.

I hate having to do this as I'm such a stubborn bastard but like the Rugby coach said "You can't run without legs".

As for the run tonight I felt tired and slow and it was a struggle.
Ran 12.5ks in 1:12:24. Average pace of 5:47. I knew it was shit.
Right leg hurt occassionally so that it is enough for me to have my dummy spit.

I'll be off to my surf club on Sunday instead for some malibu board therapy and possibly beer.
Sorry Horrie will have to skip Maroubra fun run and Lane Cove and...........

9 comments:

Katie said...

Wise words from JD!!
Look after yourself... sorry about the leg.

Dave said...

Beer sounds good!

Ease up, you have jumped back in pretty hard, plenty of time to buld up properly over summer.

Jen said...

Patience is not a virtue of mine either. Sorry to hear that you are still having pain

And I will let my spies in the eastern suburbs know about you so don't be surprised if, when out running, you get rolled for your shoes ;-)

J.

Tesso said...

Sounds like perfect therapy. Enjoy the waves ... and the beer.

Even if you can't run hope you're gonna blog some surf stories for us :-)

Bernie G said...

The rest sounds like a good idea. Looking fowarded to round 2 of Flake v's Blue Dog ;o)

Horrie said...

I'm glad that you have resolved in yourself to get your legs right before getting back to it. You certainly surprised me on Sunday by bolting out of the blocks and doing that first km in 4 minutes. As I've said before, you are in this for the long haul. There will be plenty of runs in the future. Just listen to your body and come back when the pain has subsided.

TA and the Gnome said...

Make haste slowly, my son...

sfG

Gnscon said...

Very sorry to hear about this flakey. Not saying you should do this but a little bit about my return from SF. I didn't do any runs above 5ks for about 4 weeks. Each run was slower than 5:30/k and mostly on grass. I felt like a lumbering fool and was limping apparently but took it easy and things went back to normal. I did about 4-5 runs per week.

I had some literature from my previous sports doc which suggested that you can expect to feel pain in the area but should cease activity if it felt like bone pain. The tendons/muscles in that area may carry memory of the SF and have weakened due to underuse. So it'll take some time to build them back up.

In summation, take it easy, forget about racing for a while and just do short slow stuff, build gradually.

Superflake said...

Thank you all for your comments. I should have listened to the normal advice of no running for 2-3 months. Foolish. Just delays all 2006 plans.