Sunday, October 23, 2005

A Swim, a run, and a win

Ventured to my surf club for the sunday races instead of doing the Maroubra fun run.

The club has our usual races held for the life saving club every sunday plus the club next door which you join after you have finished your patrols has their own races but only every 2nd weekend.
We have a swim race about 400metres in total out through the surf and back. A board paddle race which is about 800metres. A ski paddle for 800metres and a hard sand run which is roughly 800metres as well.

It was all of scratch(usually handicap) today as it was the first race of the season. Due to my current swimming ability I think I will be getting a good handicap for the rest of the season as I was 3rd last out of the water in a group of about 30 people. I need practice, but it was also a tactic to get a better handicap as I know I won't win the swims anyway.

I didn't go in the board or ski paddle races. Just watched the spills as the surf was pretty good and there was a hell shore break due to the tide being almost full when we started at 11 am.

The run started after that with about 20 of us running on the hard sand with the water running up the bank. The sand actually was very soft due to the approaching high tide.
Sat on the leader all the way to our turn around point which is a big black rock about 400metres away. Kept about 10 metres distance until I noticed I wasn't putting in any extra effort and the leader was coming back to me. Stayed about 5 metres behind out of ear shot until about 30metres to go when I went past him for the win. Late kicker. The handicapper writing the names down at the finish had my competitors name almost down until I snuck through on the line.

BBQ and beers on the back lawn of our club was to follow and as a winner of one of the races I had to buy half a dozen beers. Gotta love those rules.
I think I'm going to get hammered in the handicap for the next race in 2 weeks.

6 comments:

Hannah said...

Sounds like a lovely afternoon! I wish I lived near the surf :)

Carolyne said...

What a great day! Congratulations on your tactical win, although if you make a habit of it you'll go broke!
Best of all, it's good to hear about you (really) running again.

Tesso said...

Woohoo - well done! But gees, running on soft sand must be a killer.

Katie said...

Great Tactics!! It was certainly the day to be in the surf than the fun run... smart choice!
OCngrats on the win and woo hoo that your running again :)

Anonymous said...

I can just imagine you running along with your speedo's giving you an ultra-wedgie, as hunky surf-lifesavers do.

You are my tip to take out the extreme sand-modelling competition.

Superflake said...

Yes Blue dog we do run in Speedo's as the Hoff was in town I tried to run in slow-mo but it didn't work and I won the race.
This will be the only running I will be doing for a while. Low impact on the stress fracture but a bit harder on the ankles.