Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Four Minute Mile

Alas not from me. Nor from Ryan Gregson who was out at Bankstown tonight running the mile.

We had about 8 of us in the race, half U18 anf half 35+. Of course I was the 35+ just for this race.
Mucked up starting the watch so just have to do it off memory and the clock at the start line.

First lap of 409m was 1:25. A bit slow maybe, but I intended to start slow and then run faster in the 2nd half of the race.
The 809m mark was reached in 2:52. So 87seconds for the 2nd lap.
From the 800m mark I cranked up the pace passing a runner at the 800m and chased after the next one. I crossed the 1209m mark in 4:15 for an 83 sec lap. Damn there goes the 4 minute mile. I was gaining on the tiring runner in front of me. These 15 year olds just have no stamina. Got to within 20m at the top of the home straight.
I thought he had me 20m out from the finish but I've taken him on the line by 1 second with a late kick. And a 77 sec last lap.

Finished in 5:32.9. So laps of 85(409m), 87, 83 and 77. The mile was fun. I'm really looking forward to the 1500m in January now.

2 comments:

Tesso said...

Fab flying finish Flakey!

Glad you had fun, though I reckon a beer mile would be more fun.

Ewen said...

What about that beer mile WR of 5:09!

Nice race Paul. Good of you to teach a 15-year-old about endurance and the kick finish.

Get out a bit quicker in the 1500 - 4-something would look good in the CV.