Saturday, June 17, 2006

NSW Longcourse Cross Country 12k

A trip down to the beautiful Shoalhaven for this race. The race takes place on a property just West of Nowra. Meaning we leave the Coast and drive towards the hills. Exactly what the course was rumoured to be like. I had heard of heart break hill 3 times was in the offing.
Actually the really hard one was about 150 metres long but straight up so much I could touch the ground with my face. Well almost.

The males do 3 laps of a 4k course so I had the goals of not being lapped and finishing under an hour. 14 male Striders were on hand on the day plus I think about 6 females.
My splits were 18:26, 19:29, 19:15. To finish with 57:10 and 91st place. I tried to take the first lap easy. I guess the run off at the start creates the faster 1st lap time. Not sure how I pulled out the last lap. Maybe trying to hold position? Chasing Blue Dog?

The wash up was that Guzzo came 2nd overall. Beaten by Russell Chin who won last year. Guzzo now needs to win next year to have the medal trifecta.
CR Grandpa won bronze in his age group 50-54.
The male open team came 2nd,including Vat, Fats, Easy Tiger, Guzzo. The 45+ team won gold.
Not sure how the women went, I know the team didn't get a medal but I guess Lucy C did as they announced the winners when the males were out on course.

It was good fun even though very hard work on the lungs and calves up the hills. Soft on the stressie due to the grass. Mini-Mosmarathon 10k tomorrow morning with more hills. Blah!

7 comments:

vat_man said...

Don't forget Royworlds!

R2B said...

Shame i didnt get to see you,except in the first minute as you raced off into the distance!

I finished in 58:1x
didnt have the ooph left for a trademark sprint to the finish,how about you?

Congratulations!
R2B

Dave said...

Good run flake, the comeback is going well. From my run I reckon if you looked after yourself on the hill the last time you could grind out a faster last lap with a 1km downhill and then some "undulations" and ended with a nice downhill sprint. What a top course!

Unknown said...

Now that you're running so fast again, I'll have to put on my new Magic Racers to get anywhere near you!! That should do it though!!

Horrie said...

Things are looking good for you Superflake. I have heard that hill is an absolute killer. I hope you get through Mini Mos okay.

Tesso said...

Great result Flakey, well and truly under that 1 hr mark. Did you end up catching The Dog?

Don Juan said...

Lucy got second in the women's open.

Well done on the effort; comeback is on track. Chasing the Dog lifts anyone's spirits and times.