Saturday, March 31, 2007

CR 5K Challenge = PB

Parked at Lilyfield Rd this morning so did a 3k warmup over to the start.
The 19 min brigade had about ten people in it. Is this the new 20mins?

Lucky I decided to start off 18mins with Kanser and his mate. Started out too quick as per the norm and ran through 1k in 3:31 with Kanser ahead at about 3:25.
The wind started to kick in on the 2nd k as part of it heads west which was where the breeze was blowing from. Split was just ok with me reaching 2k in 7:17 which gave me a 3:46 for that one.
The third is nearly 90% straight west so found it a real battle to push into the wind. Seeing me labouring in to the 3k point with 11:10 on the clock and a bad 3:53 split.
Started the 4th k with a tail wind which made it a lot better. Uncle Dave and then Tom31 came past before I reached the 4k mark. Which I did in 14:50, a 3:40 split.
Now the turn for home and the k I hate the most as the track winds it way between tennis courts, toilet blocks and playgrounds. Spotted Luke SkyRunner in the distance and tried to catch him but just missed. Hr started off 19.

Finished with 18:28 a 10second PB. And 3:38 for the last k.
Now I'm on the slippery slope towards 18 which is good. Splits of 3:31,3:46,3:53,3:40,3:38. Pretty crap that 2nd and 3rd k but managed to salvage the finish.Jogged backed to my car which was only a k away with Horrie and Professor, who both had great runs.I think there was about 40 of us in total. Can't wait for the next one it was great running conditions this morning.

The 5k time gives me a prospective 38:22 for 10k. I'll see if I can do that next week at the Domain.

10 comments:

Horrie said...

Great run today Flake. It's good to see the taper kicking in. You will run well next week and should give that 18:20 a scare.

Horrie said...

Sorry that is meant to be 38:20.

Tesso said...

Huge congrats Flakey!!!!

Could be a hat trick of PBs - today, 10k next weekend, Canberra marathon :-)

Ewen said...

Good PB considering the wind Flake. I'd say 37:XX is a chance with the marathon endurance kicking in.

Rob said...

Certainly a day for PB's. You and Horrie. Congratulations for a great time.

Unknown said...

Good stuff Flake - must be great racing in this rich seam of form. See you in the Domain next week.
Tom

plu said...

Well done. Now for the taper.

cheers Plu

Spud said...

You are on fire mate, looking good for Canberra.

TA and the Gnome said...

What a great confidence booster Paul.
Let's hope you get your time at Striders. good luck.

TA

Jen said...

Sensational Flakey! Congratulations on your latest PB. Looking forward to hearing about two more ovr the next two weeks!