Sunday, August 13, 2006

City 2 Surf PB= 58:05

It's been a hard road back from missing last years race with one Stress fracture just before and then getting another one in February this year.
I'm so relieved to get this race out of the way. I know it is only a 14k race and who keeps tabs on a 14k PB? Really missed doing the race last year especially when I was in good form just before it.
Race day started early meeting Johnny Dark, Tesso, Blue Dog and Bernie G in a dark alley outside the Sydney Water building trying to send our bags to Bondi in the truck. Made our way to the start line by 7am for the long wait till the 9:30 start. The usual tricks were pulled by people as I was right on the rope I had people get out in front of me before the start to 'stretch' and then not go back.
The race start was very easy, lots of space to run in and I still managed to pass people on William St who clearly should not have been at the front of the A1 start. Saw Fats, Coaster and Don Juan going down the first hill.

Ran with Minersrun, Shell, Pod Runner, Spiderman and Strider Jo Cowan for different parts of the race. I was at the 5k in 20:25. Which seemed to be accurate. The 6k was 24:25 and the dodgy '7k' in 30:30. I don't think I was that slow up the hill.
Passed the 10k in 42:45 and then flew to the finish to run 58:05. With a 15:20 last 4ks.
Love the 'negative split' 7k 30:30/27:35. The 2004 'negative split' was 33:00/29:52.

A PB of 4:47 from 2004, and finally the chance to update the PB's on my blog.
A nice after race softies and chat at the Striders 'tent'. Thanks to the new striders for setting up.
Then it was off to the Bondi Hotel for the hard drinks and more catching up with CR's and Striders. Beat Blue Dog by 8 minutes.

Next race is Lake Macquarie Half in 2 weeks with a crack at the sub 4min ks.

13 comments:

Bernie G said...

Congrats on the PB and beating Blue Dog. His mum had left a message on the ph, wanting to know the results. Stay tuned.

Gronk said...

Well done on the PB Flake. Might see you at Lake Mac in a few weeks.

Ellie80 said...

nice pb flake! you deserved it after all the injury crap! hope you can bask in the glory for a while now :)

Horrie said...

Congrats on the PB Flake. It has been a long road back but it is great to see that the body is holding together. I know that great feeling when you get to update a PB in the table. It gives you a great deal of satisfaction in knowing that you have achieved something you have been working so hard for. Also, bask in the glory of beating Blue Dog the day after he ran 12 Foot. You know he will be back, probably with his mum, no doubt!

Katie said...

Well done Flakey!!! Well deserved! Good things come to those that wait :-)

miners said...

Great to get that PB mate. congratulations! and don't worry, you'll maybe catch me one day.

You know, it was probably that energy-flake you threw at me before the start (which I then gladly ate) that may have made the 30 sec difference...

Clairie said...

A great race Superflake and certainly sounds like you have that demon off your shoulder for now. Though 55 is a nice round number.....

And at the next race I see you I expect to be showered with Flakes....man I'd turn up to a run if I knew it was going to be raining chocolates :)

Dave said...

Well done flake, that's a great step to get out of the road on the way back!

Another thanks for the chocie at the start line ;)

Rob said...

Congratulations on the PB Super. The negative split is very impressive. All the best in achieving the Sub 4's in the half in a couple of weeks.
I am glad things are on the up and up for you.

TA and the Gnome said...

Good stuff 'flake. That's the kind of running dreams are made of (well, mine are anyhow :-))

Gnome

Don Juan said...

Congratulations Paul.

Another win over the Dog; you might want to let sleeping dogs lie, or he'll stop ultras to get serious on the short stuff.

Tesso said...

Congrats on a great run, such a super duper improvement on 2004. Must find out your secret. Training hard I guess :-)

It gives me hope seeing you come back from those stressies that I can get back from my comparatively minor injury.

Thanks again for the yummy Flake at the start line. Hmmmm, maybe that's your secret ....

Ewen said...

Great run SF considering your preparation. Have a crack at the 55 minute barrier next year.