Sunday, August 27, 2006

Lake Macquarie Half Marathon PB-86:43


Well 14 months of leg pain and head frustration over the same thing has finally come to fruition today as I knocked off my Half Marathon PB.
The old PB was set in June 2005 at the Kembla Joggers Half Marathon. For anyone that hasn't run that course it rates as hard for hills as the SMH Half.

The course up at Lake Macquarie on the NSW central coast was rumoured to be flat. Well it would be if it didn't have a couple of hills that go for a 1.5k's that you get to run 4 times as it is a 5k out and back course.

The start was pretty cool but soon heated up later with a bit of wind off the lake in the last 5ks coming back as well.
I started ok with the 1st k of 3:50 and then getting to 5k in 19:59, but from then on the bleeding of time per k started and I knew I was struggling to keep my goal of 4/min ks.
Ran through the 10k in 40:30 and then finished in 86:43 for a 33 second PB.

Met some new CR's up at the race including Louie de fly, the mule, poppy and kazads.
Plus saw Tuttle, Queen Bee, Luke Skyrunner, Mrs Skyrunner, Psychoma and Redback doing the races. There was about 400 doing the half with at least double that in the 10.5k race.

Two PB's in 2 weeks. Got to love that. Next up the 10k PB on Saturday at North Head.
Thanks for everyone's encouragement recently.

13 comments:

Horrie said...

Good to see your consistent training rewarded Flake. That completes a great comeback from injury. You will only get stronger from now. Well done!

Ellie80 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ellie80 said...

congrats flake - you deserved it after such a rough run. I agree with Horrie - onwards and upwards - unstoppable now!!

Tesso said...

Huuuuge congrats Flakey! I reckon you'll have The Dog worried.

Hope you've got a race to do next weekend to make it a hat trick :-)

Gronk said...

Well done Champ. Mind boggles what u can do now mate.

26miles said...

Well done mate - a good effort off some patient, sensible training.

Jen said...

Awesome result Flakey. After all your struggles I'm so pleased that you are now getting the results you deserve. Not to mention the fact that it inspires me to keep perservering....

Well done!

Clairie said...

Fabulous result!! no injuries to talk of and a PB to boot!

Well done Superflake...but it doesn't stop here. Go chase that 10km and show us again what all your dedication and training does for you.

Spud said...

Nice reward for some decent training and a great comeback from injury, I'm rapt for you mate.

miners said...

Great race mate - and almost exactly 1 minute under my PB too! Just as well I still have the C2S PB win over you, because I reckon my 10km is about to go too :( Keep it up mate, it's great to see you having some fantastic results after the loooong lay-off.

I'm afraid you have the rest of 2006 to yourself too - tri season's starting now, so no more PB-chasing (running-wise) for me till May!

Katie said...

Woo Hoo!!! Maby I will join your for a 10km pb next week ;-) I thought of you yesterday... I love that race!

Ewen said...

Good one SF! Sounds like it was tough hanging with that 4 minute pace. Keep working and you'll do it soon enough I'm sure.

Matty said...

A nice run there Flake and you're getting closer to where you want to be for a crack at Sub 3.

Keep training hard and smart!

PM