Sunday, October 15, 2006

SMC Half Marathon

Tip: Do not run a race after a night on the beers and 4 hours sleep.

After getting an email during the week from some old school mates for dinner and drinks last night I just had to do it. I can race whenever I want but you don't get to catch up with old mates every day.

So there was the extent of how the race was going to be this morning. A belly full of beer and a bad hangover which I still had during the race. Stomach wanted to deposit contents everytime I coughed during the race which was not a good feeling.

Had a shocker of a race and ran 1:33:06. No splits couldn't be bothered. I'm not disappointed as I am fully reponsible for my crappy race. Seeing guys you haven't seen for 2 years was a great night. The conditions were not that good out at Smithfield with high humidity and pretty windy from the southerly blowing, I guess much better than Saturday's 36 degrees.

Lots of CR's running in all events. With Uncle Dave 2nd in the 10k and I think Springer 2nd in the Half. All conquering Aunty K was back from the GC Half IM.

7 comments:

Gronk said...

Friends are waaay more important than a silly race Flake. There is always another race around the corner mate. Like next Sunday for example...

2P said...

So that's what Ive been doing wrong all these years..... still - I'd take a 1.33 anyday - if only I had some old mates....

Tesso said...

Good to see you have your priorities right. You can always call it a 'Hangover PB' :-)

Don Juan said...

It's a recovery run. Good idea to try to ease the handicap for an outright win next week at the internal 1/2.

Blue Dog. said...

"Tip: Do not run a race after a night on the beers and 4 hours sleep."

What a buch of crap.

Sounds like a perfect taper to me.

AuntyK said...

I like it:

'All conquering Aunty K'... thanks!!

ps. I once did the whole late night thingy with friends etc. tried to run the next morning on very minimal sleep it is not very good!! but hey... it's only every now & then.

See you soon, AK

Ewen said...

Mates come first.

I did that once before a Striders 10k in Centennial Park except with 0 hours sleep. I think that works better.