Sunday, December 18, 2005

Surf Club Race with a win thrown in

Have not done a surf club race since round 2 of our comp. Today was round5.
Turned up to discover it was a lake instead of a surf. Dead flat and a high tide so a long swim without the benefit of being able to surf a wave in.
Oh well swim was better than last time, about 150 metres out, 100metres across the buoys and then 150metres back in. Swam ok but still need a lot of work on the swimming.

After one win and a 2nd from two races in the run I discovered today my handicap was 35 seconds. One of my rivals won a race when I wasn't there so his was 60 seconds.
I went out hard and had cleaned up all but one of the field by the time I got to the turnaround which is a big black rock.
Hard work coming back knowing I may get passed spurred me to run faster back. Beat 2nd place by about 20 seconds. And my closest rival was 3rd so I get more points.
We had a high tide again so we had to run on soft wet sand which is hard work.
I think my handicap will be huge next round.

Beers and a bbq on the back lawn of the club, with me being one of the winners of a race today as the free beer man. My civic duty.
I timed the race and ran it in 3:06. So a 35 second handicap was pretty heavy although better than 60 seconds.

Next race is December 27th after Boxing Day Party. A hangover maybe my fuel that day.

2 comments:

Tesso said...

Big congrats Flake! Not bad for a guy who hasn't done much running of late.

Buying the beers tho - how many more races can you afford to win :-)

Katie said...

Superflake is back!!! Yeah! Good on you..... although they should buy you the beers! Are you coming on friday night? See you there!