Monday, December 05, 2005

Walk, Run, Walk, Run

You'll never walk alone.. How could I with so many people in Centennial Park tonight enjoying the late afternoon heat.

Starting to do the Pfitzinger return from injury program specifically written for stress fracture returns.
It said on the first day. Walk 10 minutes, Run 10 minutes, Walk 5 minutes, Run 5 minutes.

Which basically means do something for 30 minutes. I ended up doing 4.36 klms. Woohoo!
I walk fast normally so I was pretty quick even doing the walk and the run was only a jog not really going too fast. Enough heat and pace to break into a sweat as soon as I started the first run section.

It is a slow road back. But the caution is that touching the stress fracture on the spot still does hurt. But when I run I get no pain.

6 comments:

Gronk said...

Did you say walk/run ? Well done mate. Very happy for you. A slow road back is better than no road back !

Jen said...

Great news 'Flake. Glad one of us is running ;-)

Tesso said...

Fantastic news Flake!

Dave said...

Good news! Follow the program and keep the caution going. It's a old line but one step at a time :)

Gnscon said...

Good to see you are back at it flakey. I'm not sure who's program I followed when coming back but it sounds fairly similar to what you are doing. On my return I was lucky to break 5:45min/k and felt like a large lumbering fool. I set a 5k course and just tried to gradually reduce the amount of walking I did until I was running the whole thing.

Bear in mind that you may get "phantom" pains. So long as they don't feel like bone pain you should be right. Sounds like you are doing it right and coming back slowly.

Horrie said...

Great news Flake. Just remember not to get too far ahead of yourself and take it easy. You have the rest of your life to run.