Tuesday, January 10, 2006

New York Marathon Champ

Well it is not everyday you meet the New York Marathon Champ.
While doing my training tonight I met Todd Philpott the reining New York Marathon Handcycle champion. He is hoping to do Boston, Chicago and New York this year and Beijing in 2008.

The program tonight was 30 minutes and I was greeted with a very warm and humid night with a 20-30k North Easterly wind. Crap conditions to run in.
I managed to get through 6.74 klms in the 30 minutes scheduled. Average pace of 4:27 per klm.
Felt pretty comfortable even with the bad conditions.

Edit: Forgot to mention. I had just stopped for a drink while running around the road track in Centennial Park and Todd had just finished his session I think. So I just walked over and said Hello. Nice bloke. I have seen him a lot in the last couple of years but he was always rolling around the road when I saw him.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Wow cool! Where/how did you meet him?

Tesso said...

Wow, that's a great pace you are setting there. And good to hear you were feeling comfortable doing it too. Don't think I'll be seeing you for dust in the Aus Day run!

Clairie said...

A hand cycle champ? You are kidding me......? Don't tell me people actually train for that. Amazing stuff.

What was his time for New York?

Superflake said...

1:51 Clairie and it is a para-Olympic sport. They cycle while being on their knees and wind the handles in front of them like they do on the big yacht grinders.